Friday, August 29, 2008

Jayden's Revenge...

I have had several posts recently about the Birds from Heck getting into our house and tormenting my little boy. Well...today we accidentally got the bird species back... We were on our way home from picking Daddy up from work, when out of NOWHERE, a bird smacked into our windshield...we were going 70 mph. I screamed, "Oh my gosh, we killed a bird!!", Dan jumped, and Jay was wide eyed. "Bam bam Birdie!!" He cried, re-enacting the sound the bird had made bouncing off our car. "I killed Birdie?" he asked. "No, no, you didn't kill the bird, Jay," Dan reassured him. "Daddy killed it." Jay said. We tried to explain that it was an accident, and no one's fault. The bird had simply flown into the car. "It's Birdie's fault." Jay replied to our explanation. "Birdie got hurt. Kiss it, Mom." We heard that the rest of the way home. I was happy to realize that he didn't really know what the word "killed" meant, that he was just repeating what I had said when I wasn't thinking straight, and that he was really concerned for the welfare of the bird. Is it bad that I told him that the bird was okay, and that he flew away to play?

1 comment:

gmakatz said...

When I was in high school, a bird hit the side of the vw van I was in and landed INSIDE between us on the floor. Dead. Talk about freakish. Glad your bird got to "fly away and play". Good answer. ;o)